New Jersey High School asks girls to take a no cursing pledge

dontcuss

but not the boys…

Catholic school girls think it’s just plain sexist that they were asked to take a no-cursing pledge on Friday — and the boys weren’t.
Girls at Queen of Peace High School in North Arlington taking a pledge not to curse for 30 days. Some wonder why boys didn’t take the oath.

What the hell is up with that?

Girls at Queen of Peace High School in North Arlington taking a pledge not to curse for 30 days.

Lori Flynn, a teacher who launched the civility campaign at Queen of Peace High School in North Arlington, said the rationale was simple: “We want ladies to act like ladies.”

And besides, the principal, Brother Larry Lavallee, added, the girls have the foulest language.

That’s bull, according to an unscientific sampling of students of both genders who were hanging out in the hallways before the morning ceremony. Research by psychologist Timothy Jay, a professor at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts and author of “Why We Curse,” backs the view that men are typically more profane. In general, people who are more extroverted, dominant and hostile tend to swear more.

Yet, despite their annoyance at what they said was a clear double standard, many girls were game.

Cursing is “part of everyone’s vocabulary but it doesn’t make you look educated,” said Kathleen McLaren, 17.

The pledge is a “good idea,” said Kaitlin McEnery, 16. “But putting it into action is the problem.”

One girl was horrified when she blurted out a common anatomical vulgarism a mere three minutes before taking the oath because a friend shoved a peeled orange in her face.

“It’s unattractive when girls have potty mouths,” noted Nicholas Recarte, 16. (fugg you little boy!) A pitcher on the school’s baseball team, Nicholas said he can’t help shouting obscenities from the mound after mishaps. He said he didn’t expect that to change.

“We all get road rage,” added Bobby Keegan, 17, a new driver. “But I will try to cut down a little. I’m respectful. And chivalrous.”

Dana Cotter, 16, thought the guys should join the pledge because “boys should be more like gentlemen.”

Teachers said they hoped that if the girls focused on cleaning up their speech on campus for a month, their improved manners would take hold and rub off on the boys. They timed the initiative to Catholic Schools Week and the old-fashioned romance of Valentine’s Day. They promised lollipops as rewards and handed out pins showing a red slash through a pair of pink lips.

“It looks like they mean no kissing,” Lavallee said. “That’s a little harder to enforce.”

Avoiding cursing isn’t easy. Jay, the researcher, estimated that people on average utter 80 to 90 taboo words a day, including those that are sexual, scatological, blasphemous and related to animals. Swearing has become a persistent part of everyday speech, used to add emphasis, emotion and humor.

It’s so ubiquitous in entertainment and family life that it’s hard to resist repeating, and many high-profile personalities have cursed in public. After President Obama signed his landmark health care bill in 2010, for example, Vice President Joe Biden congratulated his boss — within earshot of the microphones — by saying “This is a big [expletive] deal.”

Over the past decade, several towns and schools have tried to ban blue language. One California seventh-grader named McKay Hatch started a “No Cussing Club” that at one point claimed 20,000 members online. His crusade, which landed him an interview on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” suggested trading curses for G-rated substitutes like “barnacles,” “sassafras” and “Oh pickles!”

By the way, Jay added by email, “These programs NEVER work.”

Despite the odds, a group of Queen of Peace girls in blue tops and khakis met in the school library at 8:20 a.m. to take the oath in front of the cameras from the student news show. Girls in their homerooms were also asked to stand and raise their right hands.

“I do solemnly swear not to use profanities of any kind within the walls and properties of Queen of Peace High School,” they said in unison. “In other words, I swear not to swear. So help me God.”

Flynn, the organizer, reminded the boys, “Gentlemen, you are not to swear in the presence of ladies.” But they didn’t take a vow, and there was no prohibition when girls were not around.

Source

Now anyone that knows me knows I cuss like a dang sailor, actually I might be worse!

and I don’t give 3 fuggs, 4 damns or 15 sh*ts about it!

So all this it is not ladylike to cuss sh*t can just suck a d*ck!

But seriously, I guess I can see the teacher’s point but I don’t agree with this pledge crap.

Kids in general should not be cussing around adults that’s disrespectful so the lesson should be in respect for ALL kids not just the girls.

eh

What say you good people of OHN

Bethlanai
Apparently it is Beth's Job to get on Slaus's nerves.
Bethlanai

Latest posts by Bethlanai (see all)

More advertisements – whatever is featured in here, love it! Buy it! ..if you know what’s good for you.

Facebook Comments

Comments

comments

.